Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel
Credit: Lost Cargo
78% corn, 12% malted barley, 10% rye
Finished in an 18-month air dried oak barrel, toasted and then flash-charred using a moderate toast temperature and toast time
What You Should Know
- Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel begins with fully matured Elijah Craig Small Batch, which is dumped and then re-entered at barrel proof into a second, custom toasted new oak barrel.
- This release is bottled at Elijah Craig Small Batch Bourbon and Elijah Craig Straight Rye Whiskey's traditional 94j proof.
- Finishing time and char levels are undisclosed, but the custom barrels are made by Independent Stave Company from 18-month air dried oak.
- Heaven Hill describes the taste as "big, rich and complex with spice and pepper notes that fade into milk chocolate with a hint of smoke as the finish lingers with chocolate and baking spices."
- Only charred new American oak barrels are used throughout the process to maintain the standards of identity class and type designation for Straight Bourbon Whiskey.