Luxco renames Lawrenceburg facility to Ross & Squibb for branded releases
Earlier this year, MGP and Luxco merged creating a very large organization with an extensive list of brands. Now, we can add another name to the mix: Ross & Squibb.
From now on, the distillery in Lawrenceburg, IN will be known as Ross & Squibb Distillery, where they will continue to distill George Remus Bourbon and Rossville Union Rye. Sourced whiskey for external bottlers will still be produced at the same facility, but will be sold through the MGP arm of the organization.
If you're confused about this, we're sure you're not alone. It may help to look at Luxco/MGP as having two main components:
- Luxco: the brands division, made up of sprits bottled and and sold to customers. Luxco is the parent company of five distilleries, three of which produce whiskey:
- Ross & Squibb Distillery, which produces George Remus Straight Bourbon Whiskey and Rossville Union Straight Rye Whiskey.
- Lux Row Distillers, home of Ezra Brooks, Rebel, Blood Oath, David Nicholson and Daviess County
- Limestone Branch Distillery, which produces Yellowstone Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey and Minor Case Straight Rye Whiskey
- MGP Ingredients: the business to business side, which is sourced whiskey that is sold to other companies.
The Ross & Squibb names recognize the history of whiskey production in Lawrenceburg. In 1847, George Ross founded the Rossville Distillery on the same site that the current Ross & Squibb Distillery is located. In 1869, the Squibb Distillery was founded in Lawrenceburg and was later purchased by George Remus in 1921. Both Remus and Ross now serve as the inspiration behind Ross & Squibb's two flagship products.